Probability and Statistics
Research in Probability and Statistics at the Department of Mathematics includes topics such as Bayesian Statistics, Data Science, Extreme Value Theory, Mathematical Finance, Multivariate Analysis, Quality Control, Queueing Systems, Robust Methods, Stochastic Ordering, Stochastic, Processes, Survival Analysis, and Times Series.
Most of the faculty members of Probability and Statistics belong to the Center for Computational and Stochastic Mathematics (CEMAT). Members of this scientific area collaborate on a regular basis with other departments of Instituto Superior Técnico in the supervision of thesis and in research and consulting projects in areas as diverse as Genetics and Telecommunications.
The scientific area of Probability and Statistics is responsible for the Probability and Statistics track of the MSc in Mathematics and Applications and the PhD in Statistics and Stochastic Processes.
Students enrolled on PhD, MSc and BSc courses of the scientific area of Probability and Statistics are encouraged to attend the research seminars and to discuss the topics with the speakers and remaining attendees.
Future and Recent Events
- Symposium on Big Data in Finance, Retail and Commerce - Statistical and Computational Challenges, Lisboa, Portugal, November 2-3, 2017
- Data Science, Statistics and Visualisation, July 12-14, 2017
- Workshop: Stochastic Analysis and Numerical Approximations in Mathematical Finance, December 16, 2014
Links of interest
- XXIII Annual Meeting of the Portuguese Statistical Society, October 18-21, 2017
- Royal Statistical Society Annual Conference - RSS 2017, Glasgow, Scotland, September 4-7, 2017
- 61st World Statistics Congress – ISI2017, Marrakech, Morocco, July 16-21, 2017
- 24th International Conference on Analytical & Stochastic Modelling Techniques & Applications - ASMTA 2017, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK, July 10-12, 2017
- XIIth International Workshop on Intelligent Statistical Quality Control, Hamburg, Germany, August 16-19, 2016
- European Conference on Queueing Theory - ECQT 2016, Toulouse, France, July 18-20, 2016
- The Ninth International Conference on Matrix-Analytic Methods in Stochastic Models - MAM-9 2016, Budapest, Hungary, June 28-30, 2016
- XXII Annual Meeting of the Portuguese Statistical Society, Olhão, Portugal, October 7-10, 2015
- Workshop: Stochastic Analysis and Numerical Approximations in Mathematical Finance, Lisboa, Portugal, December 16, 2014
- 7th International Conference of the ERCIM Working Group on Computational and Methodological Statistics - ERCIM/2014, Pisa, Italy, December 6-8, 2014
- 18th European Conference on Mathematics for Industry, ECMI 2014, Taormina, Italy, June 9-13, 2014