PhD in Computational Engineering
Fri 20 January 2017
Ana Raquel Jantarada João
PhD in Mathematics
Mon 27 March 2017
Andreia Filipa Torcato Mordido
The Department of Mathematics offers programs covering a broad range of topics leading to a Doctoral Degree. Candidates are admitted to either the
- Doctoral Programme in Mathematics, or the
- Doctoral Programme in Statistics and Stochastic Processes.
They can also choose to pursue their PhD degree in one of the international IST collaborations:
- University of Texas at Austin-Portugal PhD Program in Mathematics;
- CMU-Portugal ICTI Program in Applied Mathematics.
The Department of Mathematics, the Department of Computer Science and the Department of Electrical Engineering, jointly offer the
Department Faculty members participate in Doctoral Programmes sponsored through Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT). Two such programmes are:
- Doctoral Programme in Physics and Mathematics of Information,
- LisMath — the Lisbon Mathematics PhD Programme.
Both regularly open calls for Fellowships funded by FCT.
At the Master's level, the Mathematics Department offers the Master in Mathematics and Applications, with 4 specialization profiles:
- Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Mathematics of Computation
- Probability and Mathematical Statistics
The first cycle of university studies in Mathematics offered by the Department is the
Final degree examinations
The Department provides a calendar of Doctoral and Agregação final examinations. Agregação is a Portuguese academic title which is usually considered as a pre-requisite for Full Professor positions.
Faculty members and researchers
The Department of Mathematics has near one hundred faculty members and researchers making it the largest university mathematics department in Portugal.
All courses offered in the the various degrees in mathematics are structured according with the official IST scientific areas for Mathematics:
- Logic and Computation
- Real and Functional Analysis
- Algebra and Topology
- Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems
- Probability and Statistics
- Numerical and Applied Analysis
Academics related activities
The Department has created or supports several mathematics related educational initiatives:
- Professor Jaime Campos Ferreira Prize
- The LMAC students Diagonal Seminar
- Mathematics Winter School
- Mathematics, Statistics and Computation Summer School.
- UTL Mathematical Routes
- Didactical texts
- Ciência Viva
- e-escola portal
- Video, recorded with openeya software, of classes of some of our mathematics undergraduate courses.
- Online courses offered through the MOOC Técnico platform.
- Mathematics library
- LabMat, the LMAC and MMA computer lab.