Research in Mathematical Physics at the Mathematics Department of IST focusses on topics in quantum field theory, string theory, low dimensional geometry and topology, topological string theory, conformal field theory, topological quantum field theory, matrix models, mathematical relativity, black holes, geometric and deformation quantization, resurgence.
The members of the mathematical physics research group interact and cooperate strongly with members of other research groups in the Department, such as the algebra and topology group and the geometry group.
The members of the mathematical physics research group belong to the Center for Mathematical Analysis, Geometry and Dynamical Systems and to the Center for Functional Analysis, Linear Structures and Applications (Nuno António).
Future and Recent Events
- Isaac Newton Institute Programme Black holes: bridges between number theory and holographic quantum information, Cambridge, UK, September 4 - December 20, 2023.
- Colloquium by Yang-Hui He (London Institute for Mathematical Sciences & Merton College, Oxford University): Universes as Bigdata: Physics, Geometry and Machine-Learning, IST, Lisbon, February 2, 2023
- Lecture Series by Yang-Hui He (London Institute for Mathematical Sciences & Merton College, Oxford University): A data science driven approach to physics and mathematics, IST, Lisbon, January 30 - February 1, 2023
- Isaac Newton Institute Programme Applicable resurgent asymptotics: towards a universal theory, Cambridge, UK, September 5 - December 16, 2022.
- Online International Workshop on Black Holes, BPS and Quantum Information, IST, Lisbon, September 20-24, 2021
- Iberian Strings 2021, IST, Lisbon, Portugal, January 19-22, 2021
Members of the Mathematical Physics group are associated or have been associated with the following research networks:
- ERC Synergy Grant ReNewQuantum.
- COST Network Quantum Structure of Spacetime (2015-2019).
- COST Network The String Theory Universe (2013-2017).
- HoloGrav - Holographic methods for strongly coupled systems, Research Networking Programmes of the European Science Foundation (2011-2016).
- ITGP - Interactions of Low-Dimensional Topology and Geometry with Mathematical Physics, Research Networking Programmes of the European Science Foundation (2009-2014).
- QG - Quantum Geometry and Quantum Gravity, Research Networking Programmes of the European Science Foundation (2006-2011).
- Mathematics Winter Schools
- Geometry Summer School: 100 Years of General Relativity (Summer of 2015)
- Public lectures by José Natário.
- Mathematics and Satellite Orbits, July 2009 (with a video).