Research in Mathematical Physics at the Mathematics Department of IST focusses on topics in quantum field theory, string theory, low dimensional geometry and topology, topological string theory, conformal field theory, topological quantum field theory, matrix models, mathematical relativity, black holes, geometric and deformation quantization.
The members of the mathematical physics research group interact and cooperate strongly with members of other research groups in the Department, such as the algebra and topology group and the geometry group.
The members of the mathematical physics research group belong to the Center for Mathematical Analysis, Geometry and Dynamical Systems and to the Center for Functional Analysis, Linear Structures and Applications (Nuno António).
Future and Recent Events
- Thematic period on Resurgent Asymptotics in Physics and Mathematics, Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA, October 09 - December 15, 2017
- Workshop Quantum Spacetime '17 of COST Network QSpace, Porto, Portugal, January 30 - February 3, 2017
- Iberian Strings 2017, IST, Lisbon, Portugal, January 16-19, 2017
- Resurgence in Gauge and String Theories 2016, IST, Lisbon, Portugal, July 18-22, 2016
- Special Session on Recent Developments in String Theory, National Meeting of SPM, Escola Superior de Tecnologia do Barreiro, Barreiro, Portugal, July 11-13, 2016
- Special Session on Geometrical and Enumerative Structures in Supersymmetry at AMS-EMS-SPM International Meeting 2015, Porto, June 10-13, 2015
- XXIth Oporto Meeting on Geometry, Topology and Physics , IST, Lisbon, February 4 - 7, 2015
- Summer School on String Theory and Holography, Lisbon/Porto, July 14 - 26, 2014. For a schedule of week 1, consult here
- Iberian Strings 2013, IST, Lisbon, January 22 - 25, 2013
- Recent Advances in Topological Quantum Field Theory 2012, Lisbon, September 10 - 14, 2012
- Oporto Meetings on Geometry, Topology and Physics (1992 - 2012)
Members of the Mathematical Physics group are associated or have been associated with the following research networks:
- COST Network Quantum Structure of Spacetime (2015-2019).
- COST Network The String Theory Universe (2013-2017).
- HoloGrav - Holographic methods for strongly coupled systems, Research Networking Programmes of the European Science Foundation (2011-2016).
- ITGP - Interactions of Low-Dimensional Topology and Geometry with Mathematical Physics, Research Networking Programmes of the European Science Foundation (2009-2014).
- QG - Quantum Geometry and Quantum Gravity, Research Networking Programmes of the European Science Foundation (2006-2011).
- Mathematics Winter Schools
- Geometry Summer School: 100 Years of General Relativity (Summer of 2015)
- Public lectures by José Natário.
- Mathematics and Satellite Orbits, July 2009 (with a video).